As the year winds down and the time for reflection and future resolutions is upon us, I would like to take this opportunity to wish all of you inner and outer peace.
This past month has been filled with anticipation and joy of connecting with old friends, some I haven’t seen or heard from in 20 years or more. I am in the process of getting a new computer and home network set up. I am excited because the new system should be many times faster and more reliable.
This weekend has been filled with setting up my new computer. It’s a 3 gig Hz quad core with 8 gigs of memory. It is running 64 bit windows 7. I was a little worried that as most of my art programs are 32 bit there would be problems, there have been none. Microsoft appears to have got it right this time!
One of the first things I tried on the new system, Apophysis 2.09 runs like a champ. As it is 32 bit program I expected it would be limited to 4 gig of ram and perhaps 2 of the cores. I was right about the ram but it does use all the cores. Here are some screen shots I took while playing around.
The Image above is the CPU usage for one flame being rendered to disk ata quality of 4000. See third image for settings.
This image is for six instances of Apophysis open at the same time with two flames being rendered at the same time. Using almost all of the 8 gigs of ram.
As can be seen the computer can handle many instances of Apophysis being open at once, as they are not doing anything they take little resources. As expected the big resource hog is rendering to a file.
As can be seen the rendering of a large flame at a quality of 4000 takes a long time, around 10 hours.
That may seem slow but on my old system it would take far longer. I Have a rough estimate that this system is at least 4 times faster at rendering to disk simply because of the CPU speed. The Apophysis renderer is not very efficient. I’m sure it will get better, and I hear from one of our fellow members that an external renderer that uses the GPU will be coming!
I am not an Apophysis expert so I may not have done very good comparisons, but I am impressed with the speed while creating flames and the faster rendering is great.
I also played with Bryce 6 and the rendering times faster as expected and in the same % range of speed up as Apophysis. The following rendered at max size and superfine resolution in less than two hours.
All in all I am so far very pleased with my new system. Everything is so much faster, I’ll be able to spew out more of whatever anyone chooses to call what I do.
I was scolded this week for posting to much to Face Book, well scolded is to harsh, it was suggested that I don’t post so much because people just start to ignore it or block me. As few click through anyway I have decided to Post once or twice a week , links to this blog and not much else. I am adding a new page to this blog that will contain links to new works. It will change often, so if you want to see what I’ve been up to look there.